The ultimate expression of the Rene Herse all-road tires – perfect for a new custom bike or to convert your old mountain bike into a competent all-road bike. The 54-mm Rat Trap Pass is incredibly plush, yet thanks to the smaller 26″ wheel size, your bike will be nimble like a good road bike.
The tires are named after the passes in the Cascade Mountains that inspire them: Rat Trap Pass bridges the gap between the mighty Suiattle and White Chuck Rivers. It’s a road that is rough in places and smooth in others, and the extra volume increases your confidence and speed. On pavement, the grip of the Rat Trap Pass is incredible – think race car with ultra-wide tires.
The Standard casing is the more affordable option: comfortable and fast, yet also strong to withstand considerable abuse. The Extralight casing takes the performance, comfort and feel of your bike to an entirely new level. The Endurance casing is reinforced for extra sidewall protection and puncture resistance, while retaining the speed and comfort for which Rene Herse tires are famous.
The Rat Trap Pass is tubeless-compatible. For tubeless setup, we recommend Panaracer or Stan’s Race Sealant.
Made in Japan.
The supple casing of our Rene Herse all-road tires rolls smoothly over surface irregularities. The tread pattern interlocks with the road surface for superior cornering grip, whether your roads are wet or dry. The tread has enough thickness in the center to last many miles, but it’s thin and supple on the shoulders where it doesn’t wear. All models feature:
- Clincher, folding bead
- Maximum pressure with tubes: 55 psi (3.8 bar)
- Maximum recommended pressure – tubeless: 55 psi (3.8 bar)
- Actual width on 20 mm rim (internal): approx. 52 mm
- Actual width on 23 mm rim (internal): approx. 53 mm
- Extralight casing: +1 mm width
- Tubeless: +0.5 mm width
- Recommended rim: 17 – 39 mm (inner width; hookless: +1 mm)
- Supple casing
- Tan sidewalls
- 454 g
- Ultra-light, ultra-supple casing
- Black or tan sidewalls
- 418 g
- Our Extralight casing in a denser, stronger weave
- Protective belt under sidewalls and tread
- Ideal for rough gravel and tough conditions
- Dark tan sidewalls
- 500 g
Click here for a downloadable article on optimizing your tire pressure and tire installation instructions.