A collection of stories, news and information that we thought you might find interesting and relevant.
- An interview by Allied Cycleworks with former World Champion cyclist, Taylor Phinney on life after pro cycling, painting, music and bikes.
- Former Soviet cyclist Nikolai Razouvaev wrote an interesting book, The Renegade: A Memoir of a Soviet Cyclist, which started as a series of memoirs he wrote for the Ride Cycling Review between 2015 and 2017. It is a look behind the Iron Curtain into Soviet cycling. Chapter 1 is available at this link. If you like Chapter 1, the entire book is available online chapter by chapter at this link.
- Cycling has been found to bring both the best physical and mental health benefits in a study carried out in seven European cities. People who cycled in cities were found to have better self-perceived general health, better mental health, greater vitality, lower self-perceived stress and fewer feelings of loneliness.
- Two new studies shed light on whether pedal-assisted electric bikes provide good exercise, and how safe (or unsafe) they might be. Read E-Bike are all the rage, should they be? In the New York Times.
What to cook.
Banana Blueberry Bread
- 1 loaf
- Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
For the bread:
- 1 stick of butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 ripe bananas
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon backing soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup of blueberries
For the topping:
- 3 Tablespoons of chopped walnuts or peacans
- 2 Tablespoons of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- Heat oven to 350 F. Lightly grease a 9 x 5 inch bread pan or line with parchment paper.
- Using an electric mixer, cream butter, add brown sugar, eggs and bananas and mix until no lumps remain.
- Stir dry ingredients together and then mix with banana mixture until well combined. Pour into prepared pan.
- Mix topping with mortar and pestle and then cover the top of the bread dough.
- Bake about 55 to 65 minutes. Cool before cutting and eating.