A collection of stories, news and information that we thought you might find interesting and relevant.
- Jason Gay from the Wall Street Journal suggests that that Mathieu Vanderpoel and Wout Van Aert’s rivalry may be the best in sports of this era.
- During the pandemic, bicycling boomed, leaving many cyclists to lock and park their bikes wherever they can. New York City now has a bike parking problem with 1.6m bikes and only 56,000 parking spaces.
- Winning races when you’re young may seem like a good predictor of future success, but it’s not perfect. A newly published study of Belgian cyclists that tests the proposition that how a kid does when he “faces the other kids” is a good indicator of championship potential. Read more on the study @OutsideOnline
- Studies show that cycling to work helps lower death rates.
- Do we really need to walk 10,000 steps a day?
- The photograph above is by Michael Blann from his Mountains: Epic Cycling Climbs book. Although most of us cannot travel yet, with the vaccines now in circulation, it’s looking like Fall travel might be considered safe. Now’s a great time too start building your bucket list of cycling’s iconic climbs with Michael’s book.