This Griffon is an example of a 1950s French mixte bicycle. The term mixte indicates that it is suitable for both sexes but outside of France, the mixte type frame sold solely as a woman’s bike. A pity as it is perfectly suitable for everyone and handles beautifully.
The bicycle has some very nice paint detail. The silver with red highlights and double box pin striping on frame and mudguards is an expansive paint job for a modestly priced bicycle.
An interesting feature is the provision for a steering lock, the cover of which can be seen on the lower head lug. Unfortunately, the lock itself is missing.
The design of the Bebolux brakes is interesting. It is a style of brake almost never seen outside of France. The positioning of the rear brake is unusual too, but it allows for a direct line of the cable.
Griffon bicycles had been around since the early 1900s. In later years, Griffon was part of the Peugeot group of companies, but are no longer produced.
Excerpt taken from A Life With Bicycles by Mike Barry. Photography by Walter Lai
- Size: Seat Tube: 51 cm
- Frame: Steel with braze-on pump pegs on rear seat tubs, brake cable guides and gear cable guide.
- Serial Number: 777 644
- Lugs: Cut-out
- Drop-outs: Flat Steel mudguards and carrier eyes
- Paint: Silver with red head lugs, red rings on seat tube, Griffon decals and metal head badge. Blue and red box lining
- Headset: Steel
- Hubs: Front Maillard, S/F Alloy Shimano QR, Rear SF Steel G/S + wingnut
- Rims: Front Super Champion Alloy 36H / Rear Alloy Brevette Menal
- Tires: Hutchinson Demi Ballon Rear Globetrotter White 26 x 1.5 in for 1 1/2″ rim 650-B 44-584
- Chainset: 3-Pin
- Rear Derailleur: Simplex Juy Rigidex
- Shift Levers: Simplex gear lever
- Freewheel 3 x 1/8 Cyclo
- Chain: Yellowrex Course
- Brakes: Alloy CP Brazed on Bebolux rear under chain stay.
- Levers: Alloy Tourist
- Cables: White
- Saddle: White Star Leather Ladies
- Seat post: Straight steel
- Handlebars: Steel upturned touring bar and stem unit
- Stem: Steel 7 cm
- Tape: Rod white rubber grips
- Carrier: Rear
- Pedals: Lyotard
- Lock in back of bottom head lug: Antivol Neiman steering lock
- Chainguard: Alloy half guard winged with red lining
- Mudguards: polished alloy z-red stripes
- Lights: Front missing, rear on mudguard.
This bicycle is currently available for sale in our webstore. To purchase, click here.